Mini Update - 1 Year + 11 Months - 6 Days
I didn't want to do the math on how many months/days it was exactly (Aug 11th is the date) so :P
This is a mini (and by mini I mean long...) update without pictures! I'll definitely be taking some next month for my TWO YEAR anniversary (WHAT?)! Seriously, two years! Time sure has flown! Actually I'm pretty sure I've said the exact opposite for other aspects of my life, but the surgery part...definitely doesn't seem like it's been almost 2 years since I was severely overweight and having an operation!
Where I'm at right now:
I sit between 181-185 lbs depending on the day. I know that I can lose the rest, but at the same time I'm wondering if it's possible to get myself down to that 170ish that I want without looking gross. The doctor had his goal for me at 168 (I think that was what it was), which is 200 pounds exactly. Most patients say they get within 20 pounds of their goal, maintain for a couple years, then get plastic surgery to remove the excess skin (which tends to weigh about 20 pounds). I have quite a bit of excess skin in the midsection that I am pretty darn sure weighs at least 20 pounds - haha.
I'm definitely not thinking plastics at this point...not only because of the money I don't have, but because I want to maintain this weight for awhile and try to tone up the skin as much as possible. I'm young, my skin is still elastic, it should shrink more over time. I have no intentions of getting anything done with my arms, despite them being pretty "batty" ...the scar that results from that never goes away and is always visible. I would eventually like to remove the excess tire around my waist and I'm hoping that I can firm my thighs up so I don't need a lift there (mother had one years ago and there's just no way that any surgeon can make the skin remain tight...it eventually slips again because there's nothing to attach it to other than bone). I also will require a breast lift - haha.... seriously...
Anyway, I'm pretty excited and proud that I've not gained any weight back. Statistics say that bariatric patients tend to gain a certain percentage of weight back after the first year and I'm still losing. Granted, that first year I didn't workout as much and I probably could have reduced all the excess skin if I had, but I'm making up for it now!
My only problem is that I workout a little too much. I don't eat enough calories and since it's been like that for almost a year, my body is used to so little calories, thus if I happen to eat more, it's easy for me to gain that 1-2 pounds. So, that kind of stinks.
I just finished my first week of the P90X program. I've been working out quite a bit prior, so some of the sessions were "meh" to me. I LOVE the Kenpo X, though. I'm hoping that this will help me tone up my muscles and skin. I just need to stick to it! I enjoy the cardio workouts ones, but the others are kind of boring. It also doesn't help doing it in this loft, where it's not really a workout zone... but I'll make it work I suppose.
I moved back to Cheyenne, WY (from Lansing, MI) at the beginning of June and the difference in elevation and humidity is just so...harsh. If anyone remembers me talking about doing the Couch 2 5K program, I finished that while on a visit to Texas (right after moving to WY) and then tried running in WY and could barely make it 10 min. Lack of oxygen really sucks! I did do my first 5k a little over a week ago and while it wasn't the time I wanted, I did run the 3.1 miles in 37 minutes. It would have been much faster, but I got a horrible side stitch in the 2nd mile and wound up walking most of it. I did some research on that since I tend to get one every time I run and last time I went out to run I was able to change up my breathing enough to make it go away. Glad I kind of figured that one out! Now I just need to step back and redo some of the interval training of the C25K to get used to this elevation. I'm thinking of going to week 4 or 5 (out of 9). There's more 5K's this summer that I'd love to participate in! They are kind of addicting!
Food wise, it's been difficult sticking to a routine here since I'm staying with Mom until I find a job and get a new apt wherever I wind up. She's vegetarian (adding meat back in slowly after 4 years) and tends to buy what I consider "crap" when she sees it onsale. My self control has been lacking since moving here and even though I've not gained weight, I've not lost any either (though I think I've bulked up a bit) and I definitely contribute that to some of the food I've been snacking on. I really can't wait to get my own place again and a routine. I NEED the routine. I'm one of those people that can eat the same thing over and over and be okay with that. I always pack the same foods every day when I go to work. I thrive on routine. Same with working out. I've had a hard time getting myself to do it because I'm not doing anything during the days other than job searching. I miss getting up at 5am and working out and then going to work... Must find a job!!
Anywho, that's all! Pictures next month for my 2 year!
Posted in: on Monday, July 5, 2010 at at 9:46 AM
Thank you for the great update! I am quite proud of you as well, and your profile pic is lovely! I keep hearing great things about P90X. I too love routine--I could eat chicken, rice and peas for dinner just about every night! Keep up the good work, and good luck job-hunting.
Pictures, we want pictures !!!!