1 Week

It has been 1 week since I had surgery! I thought this would go by reaaaally slowly but it's been alright. I got some work from my client today and although I haven't started because I emailed with questions and haven't heard back yet, I'm kind of excited.

Since getting out of the hospital on Wed I've not done a darn thing. I drink my 1 oz. of protein every hour, usually on the hour, and at least 6 glasses of water to keep myself hydrated. I haven't craved any food and in fact I'm not hungry at all. I only do the protein and water because I know my body needs it.

I've been reading a lot about other surgery peeps and how the first week was so hard getting water in and I'm just wondering if it's because they didn't drink water like that before surgery. I use to be a water freak. That was all I drank. Guess I'm getting back into that. They also complain about the liquid diet. I guess I just don't care. I'm testing my protein shake samples I got and keeping track of what ones I like and don't like. The one I'm drinking today is Vanilla Ice Cream. It's okay as a shake, but I'm thinking it would be AMAZING as actual ice cream. It really does taste like the ice cream, it's just not really cold as a shake and...liquidy. Definitely on my save list for frozen goodness. :D

The whole "buyer's remorse" or depression that many people get after surgery hasn't hit me yet. Maybe because it's too soon? I don't know. I see people that had surgery the same day I did and they're already cranky. I even had my monthly visit right when I got home and there was no cranky Jen to be seen! I try to do everything on my own, but there's some stuff that I ask Dan to help with, which he's a good sport about.

My recliner rocks. It's semi hard to get in and have your rear sitting in the back, but it's so much better then the couch or bed. Only issue I have is that the cats like to hang out under it. I can't exactly see them, so I have some toys on my stand to help me coax them out. Or when Dan's around I ask if he sees them under me. I already shut Sam inside. Luckily there's enough room, but it still freaked me out.

Wednesday is my first post op appointment. I have a nutrition class and then a Dr. Snyder. They should be taking my JP drain out then. Thank goodness - it's annoying! lol...not so annoying because I have to strip the hose and dump the contents of the bulb, but it's just really uncomfortable. Supposedly there's several feet worth of the hose inside me... People say it's quite uncomfortable getting it all taken out. Joy.

When I got home I knew that I was heavier then when I went in because they pump your body full of liquids. Many people I don't think realize this and come onto the boards freaking out that they gained 10 pounds! It's kind of silly to weigh yourself RIGHT after surgery like you're going to lose 20 pounds miraculously. Anyway, I stepped on the scale for shits and giggles. 13 pounds down since last Monday...23 if you count the water weight I lost the weekend before surgery. And I was fully clothed with liquids still in me :) Kinda cool.

I look forward to pureed foods! Again, I'm not hungry and I don't mind the water and different protein drinks, but I'm super excited for Pintos and Cheese! AND Cottage Cheese! Heck yeah! Might sound silly, but...SO EXCITED. And I have some other great recipes to try out :)

4 comments:

  1. I just caught up--glad everything is going well! I hope cottage cheese is everything you imagined!

     
  2. Taco Bell Pintos (no cheese, I can't tolerate it) with mild sauce and minced onions is still one of my favorites.

    Glad you are doing so well.

    I went to the doctor for my 9 month post op check up. He is so pleased with me. Said all my vitals were perfect. I have lost 100 pounds and have 28 to go.

    We talked about a tummy tuck. He thinks the insurance should pay for it. I hope so.

    Don't squeeze anymore cats, okay? Keep up the good work. Proud for ya!

    What's the Vanilla Ice Cream protein shake brand name? I might want to try it, if it is that good.

     
  3. Thanks Debbie!

    The Vanilla Ice Cream one is Syntha 6. I got a sample from Vitalady if you want to try it before buying :)

     
  4. You are such a trooper! Way to stay so positive, I could learn a thing or two from you. I'm fascinated by your story. You rock!